Friday, September 26, 2008

I Didn't Even Know There Was Actually a Demi Lovato Costume. . .

What or who does your son/daughter want to be for Halloween this year? Allie has been pretty adamant since the summer that she wants to be Demi Lovato - or Michie - from Camp Rock. . .and she could care less that no one will have any clue who she is unless they have are a Camp Rock fan or have a child who is a Camp Rock fan. I mean, I don't think Demi Lovato has received the amount of press Hannah Montana receives in one week. . .

Anyways, I was wondering how in the world I was going to be able to create a Demi Lovato costume for Allie - I figured I would try and mimic her clothes in the movie, but every time I tried to put together an outfit for Allie that I thought looked like her, Allie would just tell me that those were just "normal clothes" and no one would know she was Demi Lovato (didn't we just cover the fact that no one will know who she is anyways??) - she wants a Demi Lovato costume.

I told Allie that I don't think there will be a Demi Lovato costume as Demi doesn't have the same kind of outfits that Hannah Montana or anyone from High School Musical has. . .she just dresses like a normal teenager.

Well, we were in Target the other day and lo and behold my daughter and another little girl simultaneously run up to the ONE REMAINING Demi Lovato costume and both are holding opposite arms of the costume, shouting for their respective mothers "Mom, look, TOLD YA (how many times a week do you hear that one??), they have a Demi Lovato costume". . .

So, my new best friend (when 2 girls are playing tug-of-war with the last costume, it makes you fast friends - don't you think?) and I ask the girls to let go (they did reluctantly for fear the costume would disappear or "the other mom" would grab it first) and we both look at the tag and let out a simultaneous gasp - $39! My new best friend and I were on the same page and both agreed that how in the world could we spend that on a red shirt, leggings, coverings to go over boots (and now the costume has cost me an additional $20 because Allie doesn't have boots that fit her anymore. . .) and a necklace.

This is not a costume - not any costume I'm accustomed to seeing - no sparkle, no glitter, nothing fancy, or scary. No masks, no wigs, no wands, no wings, no microphones, no hats. Just leggings, a shirt, a simple necklace and boot cover-ups which translate into buying boots if you don't have boots. This is not a costume - this is an outfit put in a bag together being sold as a costume!

So, my new best friend and I look at each other and both mumble there is no way we can buy this. We also decided that we didn't want to upset the girls by one taking the last costume - so my new best friend was very smart and held up the costume and said she saw a tear in it and that neither girls would want it. Thankfully neither girl questioned the other mother's observation (or lack thereof!) and they were easily redirected. . .and my new best friend and I were both relieved that we weren't buying this $40 (plus $20 for boots) costume and we expressed again our shock and horror at the price for these random pieces of clothes put together to be called a costume and how there was no way we would buy it.

And then we both add, our husbands would have us committed to the loony farm if we bought this "bag" of clothes put together and packaged as Demi Lovato for $40 - oh yeah, don't forget to add the $20 for boots. . .

So, its back to the drawing board. . .







post signature

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would it be possible to buy the costume in pieces? The pants and shirt look fairly standard as does the necklace - anything like that in Target for less than $40 for the combo?

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the costume I saw for little "Cars" fans. Well, apparently a boy size Lightning McQueen costume wasn't going to work out for them, so Disney put out a race car driver suit in the Cars color scheme with a couple of Cars-centric stickers slapped on. I don't know, but it seems a bit silly to me because there are no actual people in the movie.

Jenni said...

39 bucks???? Robbery, I tell you!

My Vision said...

Wow, that's crazy! I saw this week at Party City they are offering coupons and discounts on costumes. I have no clue whether they have this particular one but you never know, might be worth checking out.