Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Things that make you say "Hmmmm. . ."

I have to say, even by my very social and thereisnothingmoreimportantthanyourbirthday standards, Allie's birthday festivities have been quite festive and plentiful so far - and we still have the biggest event - her birthday party - set for this Saturday.

But my hubby and I experienced something the other night that I wanted to share. Now, I will be the first to admit, we make large birthday parties for Allie- I'm not saying expensive, I'm saying large. I don't think we have ever had less than 20 kids (Okay - there is no one I can cut - there just isn't! I go over the list with my friends as they tell me they are sure they can get rid of half - and they never can! I really believe that my family is fortunate to have such a wonderful and special circle of friends. . .but I digress. Oh and by the way, this year there are 32 kids coming - we added a new crop of friends from Kindergarten and didn't really "drop" old friends - we treasure those relationships!) and we have always invited families as well - my hubby and I always love a reason to get together with our friends and celebrate!

So, the other night, on Allie's actual birthday, we had her sleepover club spend the night. They came over around 4:30 and were ecstatic to play on the trampoline. We headed out to Chuck E. Cheese around 6:45 where the kids closed down the place - we finally got home around 9:30. The girls thought it was decadent to get in their jammies and bounce on the trampoline at 10pm and then they couldn't wait to close the door to the playroom and dance and sing to the Hannah Montana movie that we had taped from Saturday night.

Numerous times that evening all 3 of Allie's friends came up to Rich and I that evening and told us it was the best birthday party they have ever been to.

In the morning, they woke up and couldn't wait to bounce on the trampoline and then dive into chocolate donuts w/ sprinkles for breakfast. After brushing teeth, hair and washing hands & face, they packed up their bags and changed into their bathing suits and we all went swimming. The girls danced on the pool deck to Hannah Montana and then pretended they were mermaids, just like in H2O.

Each child told Allie that she was lucky to have the best birthday party ever.

Guess what? It wasn't even her birthday party! At least my hubby & I didn't think it was. Allie's big birthday party is planned for this Saturday where there will be swimming, games, pizza, cake, lots of friends, party favors, etc. Saturday's party took lots of effort and money to plan and has been in the works for months.

Last Monday was simply her monthly sleepover club coming on her actual birthday - that is all. Yet, in the eyes of these girls, it was the best night ever.

It was small, simple, easy and inexpensive.

There is a lesson to be learned here Moms - but how many of us will really take it to heart?


post signature

2 comments:

My Vision said...

Sounds like lots of fun Allie is a lucky girl!!

Kerie said...

I hope you take that to heart. It doesn't always have to be the biggest and most expensive to be the best.