Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My Daughter Knows I'm Fat!

Well, the day I was hoping would never come, came a few days ago. I was really hoping I would lose weight and become a skinny-minny or one of those “hot moms” before she ever knew the difference. Well - I was not so lucky.

So - we were cuddling in the morning as we always do and she asked me why my belly was so jiggly if there wasn’t a baby in it. I was frozen - but I didn’t want her to know. I didn’t want her to know that I was mortified she found out one of my deepest darkest secrets - I am overweight!!! So, I said something brillant like “huh?” to stall for time. And she said, “Mommy, look, when I touch your belly its like a marshmellow - its jiggly.” And then I said that I guess it kinda is. That was the best I could come up with! So then she said, “Mom, I think you are fat.” Ok - now we have gone from jiggly belly to FAT!! How does she know what fat is?

She is only 5 1/2 and I don’t think fat or thin has ever been uttered by myself or my husband - so how does she know? Oh yeah - she doesn’t live in a bubble and she goes to school with those OTHER PEOPLE. Ok - so slow down my brain says - she is only making an observation and in fairness to her she is right - I AM FAT. She wasn’t attaching any judgment or meaning to her statement - just pure fact and observation. So, I simply say, yes I am. And then the torture was over - we were on to more important things - when was the Hannah Montana movie coming out on DVD?

No comments: