Sunday, August 24, 2008

It All Started With a Plate of Brownies. . .



Almost 5 years ago we moved into the house we are currently living in. We didn't move far away from our previous house, but we moved into a house that was better suited for a child and two dogs. And in truth, one of the biggest selling points was when the people who we were buying the house from told us there were 8 kids between 18 mos and 4th grade that were living in the cul-de-sac across from our house.




When we first moved in, our neighbors that lived directly across from us showed up one evening (mom, dad and 3 kids in tow) with a plate of brownies. And maybe even more exciting, the low-down on ALL the neighbors. At that time, Allie was only 15 months and our neighbors kids were 3, 4 and 5 (yes, the are all just a year apart from each each other) and they seemed soooooooooooooooooo old (the kids, not the parents - the parents were younger than my hubby & I) and at that time, while I was crazy about the parents I was mildly bummed that their kids were sooooooo much older than Allie - I was hoping to have neighbors that Allie could be friends with.




Fast forward a few years and while the other families in the cul-de-sac have moved away (take my advice - never buy a house because you like the neighbors - they very well might leave!),our neighbors directly across the street have stayed and I couldn't be happier that they are our neighbors.




Not only do Rich & I love them (and are eternally grateful to them for the various handyman, fix-it and medical emergencies they handle for us), but we help each other out with our pets and kids and Allie just adores her "neighbor friends".




Neighbor friends are so fabulous to have. You don't have to make elaborate arrangements for a playdate - the kids (now that they are old enough) just pick up the phone can call each other to see if the other can play. On Saturday, Allie called and their 3rd grader came running over and the girls played and had dinner together. When it was time to go home, we walked their little girl back home and then Allie stayed for dessert and their 5th grade son and his friend walked Allie back to our house. It was easy and simple!



Not only that, I think I get the better end of the bargain. Because their kids are at a minimum 2 years older than Allie, I can actually get housework or website/blog work done when they are playing with Allie. They are old enough to indulge a 6 year old's craziness, but yet young enough to enjoy playing with her and not feel like they are babysitting.



When Allie and her neighbor friend were giggling and having a wonderful time on Saturday, I started thinking back to how it all started. . .you never know what amazing things can happen with a plate of brownies.

post signature

3 comments:

Jenni said...

That is soooo nice! I wish I had neighbors like that!

My Vision said...

That's wonderful you have great neighbors like that!

Emily ~ Little Window Shoppe said...

What wonderful neighbors. I hope that when we finally "settle" somewhere, that we have neighbors like this too. I can see how your daughter would love living there.