Thursday, June 12, 2008

There is Nothing Like Laughing With Your Child

No, I'm not talking about that cute little laugh that you and your husband/partner/friend do with each other when you see your child doing something cute or hear your child proclaim something that surprises you.


I'm talking about a good old belly laugh with your child - not at your child or about your child, but WITH YOUR CHILD.


I can't quite put my finger on why (the looser schedule of summer? the fact that she is growing older? the AZ heat?), but Allie and I have been sharing some amazing laughs together. Some really genuine moments of deep belly laughter that send both of us doubling over and sometimes cause tears and even at times you can hear one of us exclaim "Uh-Oh, I'm going to pee in my pants!".


If you promise not to tell her - I think I actually did pee in my pants yesterday. But then again I get droplets when I sneeze. But that is for a whole other post. . .


If you ask me now, I can't even remember what we were laughing about. Allie probably doesn't either. But the beauty of the moment was not lost on either of us - I think even at her young age of 5 1/2 she was feeling the same thing I was feeling -true joy and happiness at being with each other and just simply having fun. And to prove my point, she said to me tonight - "Mom, do you 'member we were laughing so much yesterday we both almost peed in our pants? Can we do that again?"


Allie and I laughing together is the only thing I need to remind myself that I should enjoy and appreciate our lives. This simple laughter that I shared with Allie reminded me of how fun life can and should be. I guarantee you that the next time you laugh with your child, take the time to feel it and connect with it and I am confident that within the sounds of laughter you might even find some of those meanings of life that you have been searching for.


post signature

8 comments:

My Vision said...

My favorite sound in the world used to be when my oldest daughter would laugh. Then my second daughter was born and my new favorite sound is hearing them both laugh. Nothing better in the world than that!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful. I'm looking forward to those days, we have mini versions and I love every minute of them.

Kim said...

They are great times, I love and cherish laughing with my kids! I also love to witness them laughing like that with each other! NCLM

Queenie. . . said...

I can't even begin to tell you how envious of you I am.

Anonymous said...

Here from NCLM - what a wonderful post in so many ways! My DS is almost 4 and already we've had some good laughs together - but i look forward to sharing more as time goes on. Thanks for the reminder to cherish the beauty and fun in every day!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I know exactly what you mean. Just the other day my son (6&1/2) made some sarcastic but funny comment ... my mother-in-law and I started laughing hysterically and then my son joined us. He and I were in tears and gasping for breath by the time we finally stopped laughing. It was GREAT!

Anonymous said...

You know what, you are totally right. Recently Sam and I have had genuine laughs together and whenever it happens I just pause and think about how awesome it is. He's three and totally in the tantrum phase, so it is that much sweeter when we can really enjoy each other's company that way. And he really does crack me up sometimes!

Sam said...

what a lovely story!! You know that they're growing up when you begin to laugh with them like that.