Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tomorrow is our last day of Kindergarten

Is Allie really ready to say goodbye to Kindergarten and say hello to first grade? Of course she is (she is already telling me every morning that next year she gets to go play on the big kids playground) - but am I?


According to my daughter's Kindergarten Aide and my husband - no, I'm so not ready. How did we get here so fast? It was only a little bit ago that I was teary at her preschool graduation in May 2007, worrying and dreading about the 1st day of Kindergarten and wondering how I will be able to walk away from her when she is in tears holding on to my arms?


Wasn't it just a little while ago that I took her to the 1st day of Kindergarten to her new big school and she gave me a big hug and kiss and while I saw the nervousness in her eyes, she held it together and told me it was fine and she never saw my tears as I turned around and walked out to my car?


Wasn't it just a little while ago that she wasn't reading and only knew how to write in capital letters?


Wasn't it just a little while ago that she bought lunch in the cafeteria for the first time and I panicked all day whether she would be able to carry the tray from the counter to her table and whether she would know what to order?


Wasn't it just a little while ago that when I dropped her off in the mornings on the Kindergarten playground she insisted that I walk in with her and stay with her until the bell rings?


Wasn't it just a little while ago that she told me that she didn't like recess in Kindergarten and she missed recess in Preschool. When I asked her why, she said it was so different then Pre-School because no-one played house, they all played soccer or "kissy girls" (the girls chased the boys and apparently try to kiss them)?

Wasn't it just a little while ago that Allie told me it was hard to go to Kindergarten because all the friends were new and she didn't know how to make a friend?

Wasn't it just a little while ago that she didn't know how to read anything other than her name?

Wasn't it just a little while ago that she barely knew how to draw anything other then a stick figure?

Wasn't it just a little while ago that her teacher told me that Allie was a little unsure about all the kids out on the playground at recess and preferred to hang-out with the teacher?

Wasn't it just a little while ago that she would only wear Velcro shoes because she didn't know how to tie them?

Wasn't it just a little while ago that she watched Dora, Barney & The Wiggles?

And now?

Her favorite shows are Hannah Montana, Zack & Cody and Full House and she can repeat the lines verbatim from the movie Parent Trap and also sing the "Hula-Hoop" song from Alvin & The Chipmunks with a perfect chipmunk tone!

She can write, journal create beautiful pictures and read at a 2nd grade level.

She has made lots of new and wonderful friends and loves to have playdates and sleepovers with her friends. She says her favorite time of day is recess so she can chase the boys, play soccer, jump rope and catch bugs.

She only likes Daddy to take her to school so she can get there super early to play with her friends - and she insists that he drop her off as far away as possible (and still be close that he can see her walk in and not cross the street) because she wants to walk into the playground by herself.

She loves to buy lunch and has never had problems carrying the tray to her table and even figured out half-way through the year that 2 quarters could by her ice-cream.

When she first learned to tie shoes a couple of months ago, she said she didn't like Velcro shoes because they were for babies as they don't know how to tie shoes (although now that the novelty has worn off, she says Velcro is easier as her shoes come untied all day long).

Not only did she survive Kindergarten, but she thrived - and so did I. I met some wonderful new Moms and have started to make Allie's new home my home too. And at bedtime, as we picked out tomorrow's clothes one last time for school this year, Allie asked me if I was going to cry tomorrow. Before I answered she said, "Mom, I know you are going to cry - but don't be sad. I'm 'cited to go to 1st grade because I'm too smart to do Kindergarten again and I finally get to be in a grade, not just Kindergarten. . .and 'sides, we'll do lots of playdates with my friends so you won't miss them during the summer."

What could I say to that?

post signature

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Visiting from NaComLeavMo:

They grow up way to fast! I hope you survived the day with few tears.

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet!! You almost made me cry at work. lol